Biking the Mesabi Trail
The Mesabi TrailSM offers diverse scenery and terrain for biking. Local and visiting bikers have the opportunity to explore the rich wilderness and nature of northern Minnesota. This variety of scenery and terrain offers new experiences within each trail section. Ride, view, and, above all, enjoy your biking on this beautiful trail.
Biking Trail Tips / Checklist
- sunscreen lotion
- insect repellent
- rain or wind jacket
- protective eye-wear
- flat-tire repair kit (customized to work on your bike)
- spare tube
- patches and glue
- tire irons pump (one that fits the valves on both types of tubes)
- tools (at least a screwdriver, adjustable wrench, hex wrenches to fit)
- 8-9-10mm 'Y' wrench (bolts on brakes, derailleurs)
- Allen wrenches (4,5,6mm to fit stem, derailleurs, brakes)
- specific tools to handle specific problems such as spoke wrench or freewheel tool. (Depending on length of ride, condition of bike and access to service) spray lubricant for chains or squeaky/rusty parts, such as Tri-flow, WD-40, Dri-Slide. Refer to your local bike shop or favorite repair book for more ideas or suggestions.
Purchase a kit which will fit easily in your pack or organize your own. Include: Band-Aids, gauze, tape, over-the-counter pain relief medication, antiseptic salve.